db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: PLEASE READ AND REVIEW: Proposed text for code sharing contribution
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2005 20:27:19 GMT
David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> This contribution provides mechanisms and guidelines, such as
> guidelines and tools for supporting forward and backward
> compatibility, to help ensure that Derby jars with different versions
> can be loaded in a Java VM without having to use specialized
> classloaders.  If an incompatibility exists between versions, it will
> be clearly documented.  Any undocumented incompatibilities will be
> treated as a bug.
>
> However, not all issues can be resolved.  For example it is possible
> for "shadowing" to take place if there are different versions of
> network client and embedded client in the same VM, and each provides a
> different implementation of the same common method.

I think that it would be good to communicate  that in such cases
regardless of the order the jars are loaded,  functionality will not be
affected at the lower revision level for either the embedded or client
jar.  The  higher revision behaviour  can be used if the higher revision
jar is loaded first.

 Is that true?  And if so can we include it  in the vote?

For instance if I have a 10.2 derbyclient.jar  and a 10.3 derby.jar in
the same JVM,  everything should work ok at the 10.2 level regardless
of  class loading order, but If I put derby.jar first,  the embedded
application  should be be able to function at the 10.3 level and the
client at the 10.2 level.

Thanks