db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Satheesh Bandaram <sathe...@Sourcery.Org>
Subject Re: New features for next release .... (Was: Grant and Revoke ... DERBY-464...)
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2005 19:48:18 GMT
Hi Rick,

Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Hi Satheesh,
>
> TINYINT, as you note, is not an ANSI datatype. It is, however, a JDBC
> datatype and is supported by MySQL and SQL Server. Adding it would
> grow our JDBC support and help close the feature gap with some
> significant databases. I think those are compelling arguments.

I agree we have some reasons to support TINYINT, but also many reasons
not to support ... :-)  SQL standard being the primary one. I am not
sure what Derby should do when two of its main specs differ (SQL spec Vs
JDBC spec), but I personally prefer to weigh more on the SQL spec since
Derby can be used from other clients as well. (ODBC, perl, .NET) Other
reasons would include lack of support from big vendors (DB2, Oracle,
Informix ...)

> ROWID is another JDBC type. to be added as part of the JDBC 4.0
> effort. It underlies the java.sql.RowId interface. Oracle calls these
> columns ROWIDs and Postgres calls them OIDs. This type needs some
> specifying.

Right... Oracle database has some support for ROWIDs, but Derby
currently doesn't. So what is the primary use of this time? I will wait
for your spec to know what useful functionality it adds...

> Enhancement requests 499 and 533 track the re-enabling of BOOLEAN and
> national character datatypes.
>
> TINYINT and ROWID deserve their own enhancement requests. I agree that
> an overall spec would be useful to make sure that we consistently
> handle the cross-release and client-server compatibility issues. I'll
> get around to this soon hopefully.

Thanks... Sooner the better, especially for debatable ideas/features...

Satheesh

> Cheers,
> -Rick
>
> Satheesh Bandaram wrote:
>
>> Hi Rick,
>>
>> Pretty interesting... I hope you will find time to make a detailed
>> proposal available for community review.
>>
>> SQL standard, as you probably know, doesn't support TINYINT or ROWID.
>> TINYINT especially is not defined by DB2, Oracle... Also, how are you
>> planning on defining ROWID and what is its main purpose?
>>
>> Hope you will share your thoughts early...
>>
>> Satheesh
>>
>> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Satheesh,
>>>
>>> Thanks for tracking these proposals. Here are the datatypes I want to
>>> add, re-enable, or extend  in the 10.2 timeframe:
>>>
>>> BOOLEAN
>>> TINYINT
>>> NCHAR
>>> NVARCHAR