db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From scott hutinger <s-hutin...@wiu.edu>
Subject [doc] ditaot in derby svn base feedback / external docs doc
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2005 17:34:29 GMT
I wanted to get the build of the docs finished so everyone can build
what is currently being used.  Jeff Levit has some changes he made that
are not incorporated in the dita toolkit.  Also, I would like to get the
build up with the current svn number etc.  I had one method of doing
this, but think possibly Andrew was thinking of another method.  I also
think I had ant do most of it in one version of this.

What I would like to do is get some feedback on the direction that
everyone thinks should be taken.

1) Since the Dita OT has an apache license, some or all of the source
can be put in svn.  If we used a Maven build, maven could download and
we could patch with Derby changes to the ot, or we could just bring the
whole code base into svn and make changes this way.  I normally don't
think this way, so wasn't sure what the current best method would be.
Any ideas?  This could also be done without maven another way...  Is
maven the prefered build or is this not an issue at this point in time?

2) The latest alpha files on the website always have an old build date.
I am uncertain if they don't get built after changes, if they go through
a build daily, or if they don't go through a build at all.  It might
also be that a hard coded date is in the dita ot.

Any feedback is very welcome, as DITAOT changed the license quite some
time ago; and this should be used.

I think the main feedback is: how should the DITAOT source be handled
with Jeffs and any other changes that are not within the DITAOT source
base yet?

Also not releated, it might be nice to get some type of external
reference document.  I noticed that Army had some external docs on the
wiki on DRDA(from The Open Group) etc..  I think some other good
external docs exist too.  I think it would be nice to gather all of
these in a document with a bit of information on the documents
themselves etc... (i.e. to download 'The Open Group' documents for DRDA,
you need to do x/y/z to get them etc...).  Myself being one of those
typical developers that get's a lot of help from those external docs.  I
think a lot of developers don't really know that much about SQL
standards etc (myself being one), so those external docs are VERY helpful.

thanks,
scott