db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: New features for next release .... (Was: Grant and Revoke ... DERBY-464...)
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2005 16:03:38 GMT
Hi Satheesh,

TINYINT, as you note, is not an ANSI datatype. It is, however, a JDBC
datatype and is supported by MySQL and SQL Server. Adding it would grow
our JDBC support and help close the feature gap with some significant
databases. I think those are compelling arguments. Fortunately, TINYINT
is already supported by Derby--it was only lightly disabled when the
non-DB2 datatypes were hidden. Re-enabling it should be easy.

ROWID is another JDBC type. to be added as part of the JDBC 4.0 effort.
It underlies the java.sql.RowId interface. Oracle calls these columns
ROWIDs and Postgres calls them OIDs. This type needs some specifying.

Enhancement requests 499 and 533 track the re-enabling of BOOLEAN and
national character datatypes.

TINYINT and ROWID deserve their own enhancement requests. I agree that
an overall spec would be useful to make sure that we consistently handle
the cross-release and client-server compatibility issues. I'll get
around to this soon hopefully.

Cheers,
-Rick