db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: New features for next release .... (Was: Grant and Revoke ... DERBY-464...)
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2005 23:33:10 GMT
Hi Army,

I would like to hook the XML type up to the network layer and the JDBC
4.0 machinery. Currently, you cannot select an XML column and return it
to the client. Nor can you insert directly into an XML column. I would
like to make the compiler accept the following statements:

  select xmlColumn from fooTable;
  insert into fooTable ( xmlColumn ) values ( ? );

and I would like to implement the following jdbc methods:

  PreparedStatement.setSQLXML()
  ResultSet.getSQLXML()

There will continue to be only one XML datatype--the one you have
already built a foundation for. It is just going to be more capable. If
you want to help out with any of these tasks, I will be delighted!

Cheers,
-Rick