db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Where to place emacs-mode for ij
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2005 19:30:25 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:

13:15:06):

>>> A worry: sql-ij.el uses (calls) emacs' sqli.el which is distributed
>>> under GPL (i think). Would that cuase problems if I want to distribute
>>> sql-ij.el under an apache license as part of Derby?
>>

>> As long as we only distribute sql-ij.el in source form, not binary, I
>> don't think there's any problem. I'm not a lawyer, though...
>>

> Distributing Bernt's sql-ij.el source file contributed under the ASL
> should be fine, and distributing anything under GPL isn't. So maybe the
> readme could provide instructions on where to download the GPL piece and
> build it.

Hmmm, what's the exact relation of sql-ij.el to sqli.el?

If sqli.el is seen as a library, or a plug-in then sql-ij.el would have
to be released under the GPL. Which obviously would not be acceptable as
ASF.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfLibraryIsGPL

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCGPLAndPlugins

I would advise asking tha ASF legal-discuss before adding this code to SVN.

Dan.