db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Question about client compatibility testing and DERBY-516 (paging Rick #:))
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2005 19:21:48 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Hi Kathey,
>
> My initial ramblings on this topic start out at the end of August in
> the email thread "client/server compatibility testing". There I
> worried that over time, the compatibility tests could grow large
> (taking maybe 5 minutes per combination) and so, if run for all the
> combinations, would make derbyall take too long. That's why we're only
> runing one combination as part of derbyall. That combination doesn't
> really track a compatibility issue, it just tracks regressions which
> might creep into the test as other code changes.
>
> I'm certainly in favor of running all the combinations on a nightly or
> weekly basis and as a sanity check when cutting release candidates.

It seems that it would be worthwhile to enable the test with the 10.1
jars (original client release)  as it would make a clear statement of
the minimum client/server jar combinations that are expected work, would
probably catch most things that might break over time, and hopefully
would not add too much time.

What do you think?

Kathey