db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Question about client compatibility testing and DERBY-516 (paging Rick #:))
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2005 19:03:12 GMT
Hi Kathey,

My initial ramblings on this topic start out at the end of August in the
email thread "client/server compatibility testing". There I worried that
over time, the compatibility tests could grow large (taking maybe 5
minutes per combination) and so, if run for all the combinations, would
make derbyall take too long. That's why we're only runing one
combination as part of derbyall. That combination doesn't really track a
compatibility issue, it just tracks regressions which might creep into
the test as other code changes.

I'm certainly in favor of running all the combinations on a nightly or
weekly basis and as a sanity check when cutting release candidates.

I like the idea of wiring some upgrade tests into derbyall. I think it
would tend to enforce the discipline that developers write upgrade logic
and tests at the same time that they checkin code which raises upgrade
problems. Writing upgrade tests is a tricky problem. Technically, an
upgrade test case consists of two pieces: 1) the Setup code which is
compiled and run against the previous release and 2) the Verification
code which is compiled and run against the current release. If you want
to tackle upgrade testing by checking in jar files, you'll have to add
some tricky build logic which builds Setup code against the previous
release and Verification code against the current release.

Just for comparison, here's the equally tricky solution which we adopted
for Cloudscape back in the old days: 1) The Setup code was checked into
the previous release branch, 2) the test developer ran a script to
populate a previous rev database with all the Setup cases then tar up
the resulting database, 3) that tarball was checked into the current
release, 4) the derbyall piece of the upgrade tests then grabbed that
tarball, upgraded it, and ran the Verification code against it.

Cheers,
-Rick