db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Where to place emacs-mode for ij
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2005 17:06:49 GMT
Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
> [...]
13:15:06):

>>>I have a quite handy emacs-mode for ij which I want to
>>>contribute. Is plugins/emacs a suitable place?
>>>
>>>There will be one .el file and one readme file.
>>
>>A worry: sql-ij.el uses (calls) emacs' sqli.el which is distributed
>>under GPL (i think). Would that cuase problems if I want to distribute
>>sql-ij.el under an apache license as part of Derby?
>

> As long as we only distribute sql-ij.el in source form, not binary, I
> don't think there's any problem. I'm not a lawyer, though...

Distributing Bernt's sql-ij.el source file contributed under the ASL
should be fine, and distributing anything under GPL isn't. So maybe the
readme could provide instructions on where to download the GPL piece and
build it.

  -jean

p.s. There have been quite a few discussions on legal-discuss@apache.org
regarding lgpl and possibly relaxing the current apache rules (if I'm
reading things right). More importantly, it sounds like they're going to
target ApacheCon in December for solidified info. I'd encourage all the
committers interested in these licensing issues to attend.