db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Fernanda Pizzorno <Fernanda.Pizzo...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Characters replacement function
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2005 11:41:06 GMT
Hello,

Have you tried to create a user defined function for replace? You can do
that using the CREATE FUNCTION statement
(http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/ref/rrefcreatefunctionstatement.html).
I have tried creating a very simple java method that does the replace
and it seems to work fine.

Here is what I tried:

1. Java method
    public static String replace (String orgStr, String oldStr, String
newStr) {
        return orgStr.replace(oldStr, newStr);
    }

2. User defined function
    CREATE FUNCTION REPLACE(orgStr VARCHAR(50), oldStr VARCHAR(50),
newStr VARCHAR(50)) RETURNS VARCHAR(50)
    PARAMETER STYLE JAVA NO SQL LANGUAGE JAVA
    EXTERNAL NAME 'StringReplaceTest.replace';

3. Test
    ij> values replace('fernanda', 'a', 'e');
    1

    fernende

    1 row selected

Best regards,