db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Paging Kathey and Dan: sysinfo for mixed versions
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2005 23:44:11 GMT
David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> Hi, Kathey and Dan.  During our discussions on shared code, you had both
> felt some helpful diagnostic information around mixed versions of Derby
> would be important.
>
> I want to make sure I understand these, so I have quoted them below with
> questions.   Once I understand them better I can log JIRA items on them.
>
> I also would like to know whether these need to be part of the initial
> submission of shared code or whether they can be subsequent incremental
> improvements.

Incremental developement is always good, there is no requirement for any
contribution to completely solve a problem. If a contribution makes any
progress towards some goal then that's great.

> 1) Kathey's suggestion, with Dan's +1: "Print warnings to the log file
> when jars are mixed"
>
> I am assuming this is done at system bootup time?  What about when the
> network client driver is first loaded, should I do it then too, for
> environments where there say multiple network client apps running in the
> same VM?
>
> 2) Kathey's suggestion, with Dan's +1: "Provide a way to print sysinfo
> to the log when classes have been loaded with classloaders"
> I have to say I don't fully understand this one, can you explain?

The issue is that currently sysinfo just works against the classpath,
however its classpath based output may be totally unrelated to the
environment running Derby, e.g. in an app server environment. This is an
enhancement to provide some mechanism to dump info similar to the
current sysinfo output from a running derby system.

> 3) Dan's suggestion, in response to (2) above: "some stored procedure
> version of sysinfo would be good, maybe even one that doesn't require a
> database, e.g. a sysinfo ping to the network server"
>
> It sounds like you want the network client to get the sysinfo for the
> server, say at startup?  How is this related to (2) above?

It's a possible (vague) mechanism for 2).

Dan.