db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Paging Kathey and Dan: sysinfo for mixed versions
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2005 22:38:26 GMT
Hi, Kathey and Dan.  During our discussions on shared code, you had both
felt some helpful diagnostic information around mixed versions of Derby
would be important.

I want to make sure I understand these, so I have quoted them below with
questions.   Once I understand them better I can log JIRA items on them.

I also would like to know whether these need to be part of the initial
submission of shared code or whether they can be subsequent incremental
improvements.  I'd like to get something out there that people can poke
around with and that people like Francois and Rick can start using.
Adding this diagnostic functionality will make it take longer for the
submission to see the light of day.  But I can also see why you might
not want to have *anything* checked in without these utilities to help
with debugging...

1) Kathey's suggestion, with Dan's +1: "Print warnings to the log file
when jars are mixed"

I am assuming this is done at system bootup time?  What about when the
network client driver is first loaded, should I do it then too, for
environments where there say multiple network client apps running in the
same VM?

2) Kathey's suggestion, with Dan's +1: "Provide a way to print sysinfo
to the log when classes have been loaded with classloaders"

I have to say I don't fully understand this one, can you explain?

3) Dan's suggestion, in response to (2) above: "some stored procedure
version of sysinfo would be good, maybe even one that doesn't require a
database, e.g. a sysinfo ping to the network server"

It sounds like you want the network client to get the sysinfo for the
server, say at startup?  How is this related to (2) above?

Thanks,

David