db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Need some help with setting up my Derby development testing environment
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2005 17:30:27 GMT

Bryan Pendleton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm still struggling, trying to get a configuration of
> my system such that I can run 'derbyall' successfully.
>
> Three questions:
>
> 1) java/testing/README.htm does not say anything about
> creating a database; it just says to "cd into a directory
> that does not have any colons or spaces in it." Do I
> need to create a database for the tests to use? Or do they
> all create their own databases? If I need to create a
> database first, does it need to have any particular
> configuration?
All the tests create their own database, in fact most tests
create database, run tests, and get rid of the database.
A few tests are configured to run multiple tests in a single
db.  By tests I mean a single .java or .sql file.

> 2) I'm seeing a bunch of diffs/failures that say "No
> Suitable Driver". I'm wondering whether this means that
> I don't have my db2jcc driver set up correctly. All I
> did was to download the two jar files and put them in
> my CLASSPATH before starting derbyall. Should that have
> been sufficient? How can I confirm that I've got the
> db2jcc driver configured correctly? What else might cause
> me to get "No Suitable Driver"?

does sound like a jar/classpath issue.  See if embedded tests
work to narrow down to see if it is a network server problem.

> 3) Running 'derbyall', then waiting 6 hours, then staring
> at a giant pile of diffs is not really helping me very
> much; is there a smaller simple test that I can run to
> confirm my environment is set up correcly?
To test embedded environment try running one test:

java -Doutputdir=/tmp
org/apache/derbyTesting/functionTests/harness/RunTest store/access.sql