db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Oyvind.Bakk...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: eol and merge problems from trunk to branch
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2005 10:33:57 GMT
Mike Matrigali wrote:
> In my svn commit of 329494, when I went to merge it
> to the branch I got a conflict on every line of the change -
> all eol issues.
>
> My questions are:
> 1) did I just get unlucky with my timing vs. the recent eol mass change?
> 2) Did I do something wrong with my original checkin, or something with
>    the merge command (kathy tried the merge and got the same conficts)?
> 3) Is this going to happen with all future trunk to branch merges?

If you merge a patch from the trunk after rev 329187 to a branch made
before rev 329187 and to which the 329187 commit has not been merged,
you will get this problem.

Also, if you merge a patch from the trunk _before_ rev 329187 to a
branch which was made after 329187 (or the 329187 checkin _has_ been
merged to that branch), you will also get into this situation (but that
should be a much less frequent problem).

This is because Subversion does not "understand" that the diff is
because of a property change, and that's a pity. Subversion is, with
respect to the eol-style property change, as "stupid" as CVS is to
moving/renaming files. :o(

--
Oyvind Bakksjo
Trondheim, Norway