db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Bernt M. Johnsen" <Bernt.John...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Backward compatibility of DataSource implementations
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2005 09:54:22 GMT
Additional comment to √ėyvinds:

If we are to make these objects (or other objects in Derby)
Serializable *AND* backward compatible we should not pose restrictions
on how they are implemented like you suggest. Instead, custom
serialization should be used (by means serial version UID and
writeObject/readObject or writeReplace/readResolve). On the pitfalls
of serialization, i recommend Chapter 10 in Jushua Bloch's "Effective
Java".

Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway