db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "John H. Embretsen" <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Curious error trying to build derby source with JDK 1.5 on Linux (Sun JDK)
Date Sat, 12 Nov 2005 19:22:39 GMT

Saturday, November 12, 2005, 7:43:02 AM, you wrote:

> As part of preparing to work on DERBY-666 I've been setting myself
> up to be able to build and test Derby using JDK 1.5.

Unfortunately, Derby does not build with JDK 1.5 (yet). You will need both JDK
1.3 and 1.4 to build Derby. See
http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html#How+to+build+Derby and
BUILDING.txt in the subversion repository:

"Derby is designed to work in JDK1.3 (JDBC 2.0) and JDK 1.4 (JDBC 3.0)
environments. For this reason both JDK1.3 and JDK1.4 are required for the build
environment. The build is set up so that most of the code is compiled against
JDK 1.3 libraries so that no dependency on JDK 1.4 classes exist, except for the
code that only runs in JDK1.4."

You also need to download a few other libraries (such as JUnit) in order to
be able to build Derby. This is explained in BUILDING.txt (section 2.2).

> I may be going about this all wrong, but here's what I did:
>   - I've installed the Sun 1.5.0_05 JDK on my RedHat Linux system.
>   - I set JAVA_HOME to point to my 1.5 JDK
>   - I set PATH to include $JAVA_HOME/bin at the start
>   - I went to my 'trunk' and did 'ant clean', followed by 'ant'.

You need to point your JAVA_HOME environment variable to JDK 1.4. You can
still have JDK 1.5 in your PATH, though, so that JDK 1.5 will be used when you
_run_ Derby...

--
John