db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Abfalter <abfal...@airnetcom.com>
Subject Database query tool with API for use with Derby in embedded mode
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:42:53 GMT

I am looking for advice on any open-source or products out there that may
help solve a problem.

We are replacing our aged Informix database with the much better Apache
Derby database.  We are running in an embedded mode.

What we are looking for is a database browser tool that will allow us to
query and perform operations on the database (sort of like dbaccess for
Informix, or any number of the JDBC aware database browsing tools out
there).  Except that we want to be able to run this within the JVM that is
maintaining the connection to the embedded database.

We do not wish to run in a client-server mode.  If we were, then we could
use any JDBC based tool.  But in this case our preference is to run in an
embedded mode and so any tool would have to be invokable from our
application.  I understand that I will have to write come code to make this
happen.

If anyone knows of a 3rd party tool that would be easy to integrate then I
would be interested in hearing about it.  The alternative is to the
command-line interface (or a nicer browser tool) only when our application
is offline, and that would not be preferable.

Scott Allen Abfalter
AirNet Communications, Inc.

THIS E-MAIL MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, COPYRIGHTED,  OR OTHER
LEGALLY PROTECTED INFORMATION.  IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT
(EVEN IF THE E-MAIL ADDRESS ABOVE IS YOURS), YOU MAY NOT USE, COPY
OR RETRANSMIT IT.  IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS BY MISTAKE, OR WISH TO BE
REMOVED FROM A MAILING LIST, PLEASE NOTIFY US BY RETURN E-MAIL AT
 POSTMASTER@AIRNETCOM.COM, THEN DELETE.  THANK YOU.