db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Oystein.Grov...@Sun.COM (Øystein Grøvlen)
Subject Re: A proposal on "how to determine if derby is busy"
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2005 20:56:09 GMT
>>>>> "DWVC" == David W Van Couvering <David.Vancouvering@Sun.COM> writes:

    DWVC> Hm, an interesting idea, but methinks what makes Derby
    DWVC> "busy" depends on your configuration.  If you have made a
    DWVC> big enough page cache that the entire DB is in memory,
    DWVC> perhaps CPU is the bottleneck.  Or if you are storing on RAM
    DWVC> disk, or if you have the db durability set to "test" -- in
    DWVC> other words, I wonder if not all configurations are made
    DWVC> equal in terms of what makes Derby busy.

I agree, but with respect to checkpointing I think Raymond is right
that disk I/O is most relevant.  If the disk is not the bottleneck, it
is less important to limit the checkpointing activity.

--
Øystein