db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Raymond Raymond" <raymond_de...@hotmail.com>
Subject Some idea about checkpoint issue, welcome to give your idea
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 02:55:59 GMT
I have been thinking of the automatic checkpointing issue
recently.I also find someone added another issue about "Use
of idle time for background checkpoint" into the to-do list.
I think we can consider these two issue together. I have
some idea about it.

Instead of doing checkpoint periodically and trying to tune the
checkpoint interval to achieve best performance, is it possible to
keep the background checkpoint process running to do checkpoint,
and the DBMS can tune the rate of checkpoint depending on the
current system situation,e.g. if the system is busy, derby will
slow down the checkpoint rate and if the system is not busy(idle),
derby will speed up the checkpoint rate.We will update the control
file periodically to let the DBMS know up to where we did checkpoint.
Maybe we can call it 'increamental checkpointing'. In my opinion,
this approach can use the disk IO resources with reason if we can
decide the checkpoint rate reasonablly.

I would like to discuss this issue with everyone. I am not
sure if this approach is doable or not. If it is doable, I will
have some further questions about how to decide the appropriate
checkpoint rate.

Thanks.

Yours, Raymond

Designer Mail isn't just fun to send, it's fun to receive. Use special
stationery, fonts and colors.

  Start enjoying all the benefits of MSNŽ Premium right now and get the
first two months FREE*.