db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew McIntyre <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 10.1.2.0 release
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2005 18:11:11 GMT

On Oct 27, 2005, at 10:59 AM, Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:

>   3. txt files, README and friends have CRLF in zips and LF in tars.

Forgot about those. Good point.

>   4. HTML/XML should have, um... not sure...

Programs that process these files for display shouldn't care about
the line-endings. Of course, if you open one of them up in an editor,
you might not get what you would expect, but then, why would you be
doing that?  :-)

> But if they are going to be different (and I'm not saying they should
> be) we certainly have to label the files clearly on the download page,
> like:
>
>   db-derby-10.1.2.0.zip (Windows CRLF line terminators)
>   db-derby-10.1.2.0.tar.gz (Unix LF line terminators)

Agreed. But as for fixing up the line feeds on the text files:

- should we? It looks like that would match up with the previous
release, since I built the tars on Linux and the zips on Windows. But,
- is it worth it, for a small number of text files? Maybe, since
we're talking about LICENSE, NOTICE, etc. being readable on any
platform regardless of the build platform.

andrew