db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 10.1.2.0 release
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2005 17:59:47 GMT
I apologize that I can't reply directly to Andrew's mail, but it
hasn't arrived in my mailbox yet.

Daniel John Debrunner <djd@debrunners.com> writes:

> Andrew McIntyre wrote:
>
>> As for the linefeeds, I think the correct solution is to fix up the
>> line feeds for the tars and not the zips using Ant's <FixCRLF> task.  I
>> believe that for shell-emulation environments on Windows that the
>> linefeeds should still be CRLF, not LF, but could somebody confirm that?

I tried on Cygwin, and it accepts both LF and CRLF in shell
scripts. If the contents of the tars and the zips were different, my
expectations would have been that

  1. bat files have CRLF in both.
  2. ksh/sh files have LF in both.
  3. txt files, README and friends have CRLF in zips and LF in tars.
  4. HTML/XML should have, um... not sure...

But if they are going to be different (and I'm not saying they should
be) we certainly have to label the files clearly on the download page,
like:

  db-derby-10.1.2.0.zip (Windows CRLF line terminators)
  db-derby-10.1.2.0.tar.gz (Unix LF line terminators)

--
Knut Anders