db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Francois Orsini <francois.ors...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: VOTE: Principles of sharing code
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2005 23:03:54 GMT
Interesting point Dan - However we also have to weigh what code sharing
brings to development and maintainability of Derby and especially in the
long run versus the patch shadowing issue in particular application
environments which does *not* seem to me like the most majority of running
configurations today (being more like corner case ones) or even in the
future (95/5 rule let's say) I could be wrong of course - I'm already seeing
some discrepancies in the codeline with pieces of code containing similar
logic but where changes (patches) have been applied to one side and not the
other - Yes this is not supposed to happen but it does happen and I think it
is bound to happen even more within a community (as more contributors come
onboard). So, not providing code sharing can also lead to not propagating
code changes in various places throughout Derby where similar piece(s) of
logic have been duplicated - I also believe that the redundancy of piece of
logic can only get worse along the years if there is no code sharing (since
we would keep on adding redundant pieces of logic between the client and
embedded engine instead of sharing whenever it makes sense).

I understand the issue with patch shadowing and I think it is a valid one
but when I look at it at not being the majority of applications running
Derby out there (I may be wrong again).

We could rather document on how to address some *potential* issue that might
arise with a 5% of running configuratoins out there versus sacrificing
maintainability of Derby in the long run. But this is *only* my personal
point of view from my own perspective and context - Support might have a
different point of view but code sharing also aims at improving quality of
the code in the long run IMHO which will benefit Derby users as well..

Cheers,

--francois