db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Francois Orsini <francois.ors...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: VOTE: Shared Components Guidelines
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2005 01:37:46 GMT
David, it looks good. Just a few comments.

* Regarding "Mixed Version Support", it might be good at some point to
elaborate on "As much as possible, two applications should be able to use
different versions of Derby within the same Java VM without having to resort
to creating specialized classloaders." - Were you referring to 2 different
Derby engines or/and Clients or/and mix of the 2 running in the same JVM? If
an application is expected to run at a certain level of Derby and it is not
because of class order loading issues which could cause the application not
to use the appropriate level of Derby classes. Depending what the statement
meant I don't think we can completely rule out specialized class loaders to
isolate loading of a specific and expected level of classes for certain
configuration. More clarifications on what the statement meant to say would
be nice...

* As a guideline, we should try to have the <ComponentName>Info class at the
top level of the package for that component (in the case of Common
component, one would expect to have the class be defined under the
org.apache.derby.common package. I may have missed this being mentioned in
the proposal.

* Would be nice to run JVM / Derby incompatibility test harness suite when a
new 'common' class is introduced (not just a new package).

+1

--francois