db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: is getAllStackTraces() something we are allowed to call from the server given the recent SecurityManager changes?
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2005 05:45:15 GMT
Francois Orsini wrote:

> if permission is granted as part of the security policies I would think
> so - it will call the appropriate permission check on the security
> manager installed...

For any method call that requires a security permission it can (most
likely) always be used in Derby. Things to consider if such a method
call is to be used are:

- Is it required for running Derby, or only for a sub-feature within
Derby? E.g. in this case it seems only to be needed if debugging lock
deadlocks.

- How risky is granting that permission to a consumer of Derby?
E.g. we could code Derby so that it was required that it be granted
permission to read and write all system properties. That may be seen as
risky to a user of Derby, so instead Derby is coded so that only
granting permission to read properties starting with 'derby.' is required.

Ideally we want to a have situation when a user can grant Derby a
minimal set of permissions that matches their required use of Derby.

When using a such a method call, it must be called in a in a privleged
block.

I plan to provide as part of DERBY-615 documentation with details of
this and existing uses of methods requiring permission.h

Dan.