db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: VOTE: Principles of sharing code
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2005 18:40:30 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:

> We need, I think, to discourage jar mixing  by changing the
> documentation to encourage application developers to use classloaders to
> insulate their application and protect others from it,

-1 : Derby needs to be easy to use, requiring developers to use class
loaders is too much. We must follow the standard JDBC driver/data source
paradigm, not have any additional requirements.
If it's a problem, then Derby should handle it internally.
(no idea how, I just talking general principles here).

> printing warnings
> to the log file when jars are mixed

+1 : I do think Derby should refuse to boot if the network server jar
does not match the embedded jar.

> or there is more than one copy or
> version of derby in the classpath,

-0 : hard to rely on, since class path is not the only loading mechanism.

providing a way to print sysinfo to
> the log when  classes have been loaded with classloaders

+1 - some stored procedure version of sysinfo would be good, maybe even
one that doesn't require a database. E.g. a sysinfo ping to the network
server could report version info.

Dan.