db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Recipe for committing contributions
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:20:25 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Oyvind.Bakksjo@Sun.COM wrote:
>
>> The attached html file contains a recipe/checklist that I find useful
>> when committing patches. I was just wondering if this is something
>> that you other guys would find useful as well. If so, we could perhaps
>> make it a Wiki page or publish it in some other way. You may not agree
>> on everything, or there may be some issues I haven't though of; feel
>> free to comment on that. The intention of the document is to make sure
>> that things go smoothly and you don't break the build.
>

> I'd like to see a Wiki page with this information. Currently there's
> also a somewhat shorter recipe at
> http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_comm.html#Contribute+Code+or+Documentation
> . That section could point to the Wiki page.
>
> The reason I'd rather it be on the Wiki (and not on the web site) is it
> makes it easier for committers and contributors to directly correct and
> improve that information.

A wiki page is good, since this is really an example of how to apply a
patch, not any official way.

Eg. I use Eclipse to apply patches as it always works for me, whereas
the patch command sometimes rejects valid patches. However using Eclipse
should not b a requirement.

And I personally don't see the value in applying the patch at the
original revision, but if it works for folks that's fine.

Dan.