db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Oyvind.Bakk...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: [VOTE] 10.1.2.0 release
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2005 17:41:47 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> I believe .subversion/config overrides properties in the
> repostiory, so if someone had svn:eol-style native for .sh and .bat in
> their .subversion/config, as is currently recommended
> by http://www.apache.org/dev/svn-eol-style.txt, then .bats and .shs
> would end up being LF on Linux.

No, automatic property setting only applies to the svn add and svn
import commands. Properties are not changed on a file when you simply
check it out. From the Subversion book:

"Whenever you introduce a file to version control using the svn add or
svn import  commands, Subversion runs a very basic heuristic to
determine if that file consists of human-readable or non-human-readable
content. If the latter is the decision made, Subversion will
automatically set the svn:mime-type  property on that file to
application/octet-stream (the generic “this is a collection of bytes”
MIME type). Of course, if Subversion guesses incorrectly, or if you wish
to set the svn:mime-type property to something more precise—perhaps
image/png or application/x-shockwave-flash—you can always remove or edit
that property.

Subversion also provides the auto-props feature, which allows you to
create mappings of filename patterns to property names and values. These
mappings are made in your runtime configuration area. They again affect
adds and imports, and not only can override any default MIME type
decision made by Subversion during those operations, they can also set
additional Subversion or custom properties, too. For example, you might
create a mapping that says that any time you add JPEG files—ones that
match the pattern *.jpg—Subversion should automatically set the
svn:mime-type property on those files to image/jpeg. Or perhaps any
files that match *.cpp should have svn:eol-style set to native, and
svn:keywords set to Id. Auto-prop support is perhaps the handiest
property related tool in the Subversion toolbox. See the section called
“Config” for more about configuring that support."

--
Oyvind Bakksjo
Trondheim, Norway