db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 10.1.2.0 release
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2005 17:15:51 GMT
> I thought it was generally accepted that the .tar.gz files were
> intended for Unix-related platforms, and zips were intended for use
> with Windows. No?

No, that subtlety escaped me. When I went to
http://db.apache.org/derby/releases/release-10.1.1.0.cgi I didn't see
anything obvious telling me to favor the .tar.gz versus .zip format,
so I simply picked the .zip file (which is after all listed first).

I'm on RedHat Linux, and its 'unzip' utility processed the .zip files
with no problem (well, I had to fix the CRLF and executable mode on the
.ksh files, which is how I got involved in this discussion :) ).

I just tried downloading and un-tarring the .tar.gz format of 10.1.1.0,
and sure enough the ksh scrips are in unix EOL format, not dos EOL
format. They still don't have executable permissions for me, though.

bryan

P.S. Nowadays WinZip is quite happy to open a .tar.gz file, so I
guess I kind of see them as inter-changeable on all my platforms.