db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: VOTE: Principles of sharing code
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:03:12 GMT
David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> OK, thanks, I agree it does require consensus approval.  I am glad my
> parents didn't try to make me a lawyer.
>
> I didn't see anyone complain about Kathey's comment so I thought it was
> an acceptable change.  But it's not surprising that it wasn't: for some
> reason almost every intuition I have had about this process has been wrong.

It's interesting to look at why no-one discussed Kathey's comment, I
certainly missed it. I think it's a case of an important comment being
hidden by the rest of the e-mail. The majority of that e-mail

http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-VOTE%3A-Shared-Components-Guidelines-p1187186.html

is about the process, along with an *example* vote text "Perhaps
something like...". I certainly didn't read the following text because
it was an example of how to word it, no point reading it (in my mind) as
the actual vote text from you might be quite different.

Then after the example text, and more text that is general guidance on
approach, in the same paragraph is Kathey's objection. Too well hidden.

> I'm not sure what you mean that it "concerns you" -- this seems to imply
> to me that you are worried about something in the future.  Can you explain?

I said "The abrupt change really concerns me". I think it's hard to
build consensus when the direction of an existing discussion that has
made significant progress is changed quickly, according to one comment.
That can lead to the direction going back and forward, never pleasing
anyone.

Live & learn,
Dan.