db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: VOTE: Principles of sharing code
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:22:38 GMT
David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> I am still learning, so forgive me if I missed something, but I
> carefully read the guidelines of our project:

One could also claim that this paragraph applies to these principles:

http://db.apache.org/source.html

<quote>
 Doubtful changes, new features, and large scale overhauls need to be
discussed before committing them into the repository. Any change that
affects the semantics of an existing API function, the size of the
program, configuration data formats, or other major areas must receive
consensus approval before being committed.
</quote>

Which would then require three binding votes ...

My issue with the currrent principles is that there was lots of good
discussion which lead to the good, generally agreed upon, summary on the
wiki. Then a single comment from a single individual leads to principles
that don't match the summary in the wiki. I believe the principles
should have been in-line with the wiki, since it was based upon
discussion, then Kathey could have vetoed with a reason if required. The
abrupt change really concerns me.

Dan.