db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: VOTE: Principles of sharing code
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:44:22 GMT
I am still learning, so forgive me if I missed something, but I
carefully read the guidelines of our project:

http://db.apache.org/decisions.html:

"Changes to the products of the Project, including code and
documentation, will appear as action items in the status file. All
product changes to the currently active repository are subject to lazy
consensus."

and

"An action requiring consensus approval must receive at least 3 binding
+1 votes and no binding vetos. An action requiring majority approval
must receive at least 3 binding +1 votes and more +1 votes than -1
votes. ==My emphasis== All other action items are considered to have
lazy approval until somebody votes -1, after which point they are
decided by either consensus or majority vote, depending on the type of
action item.== end emphasis =="

Given that this is a change to the products of the Product, and nobody
has voted -1, then I thought this meant lazy approval.  Lazy approval is
further described in the Apache Way:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#management

"When coordination is required, decisions are taken with a lazy
consensus approach: a few positive votes with no negative vote is enough
to get going."

My understanding is that binding votes are only relevant when someone
votes -1...

Thanks,

David