db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: VOTE: Principles of sharing code
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2005 04:42:48 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>I much prefer the approach in the wiki page, strive for compatibility.
>If such a requirement comes up for a specific release, then we can
>document that sharing jars between 12.x and 13.x is not supported.

Sounds ok to  me as long as such an incompatibility is documented and in
the absence of such documentation  is treated as a bug.    I'd just like
the user impact to be clear in the documentation and not have a
situation where mixing jars breaks and we say "Hey  we really do strive
for compatibility as much as possible, but we never guaranteed it would
work."

Don't the internal interface deprecation guidelines mean that mixed jars
will stop working together at some point?

BTW, if this thing gets submitted to vote again.  I'd like to suggest we
get  consensus on the wording before it does.
I'd much prefer David just submit the code to share messages with some
really clear  way to version the messages into the future that doesn't
break anything and then you'd get no trouble from me.

Kathey