db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Link/Quote for e-mai is official medium - WAS lRe: VOTE: Shared Components Guidelines, Version 27 of the page
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:55:39 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> David Van Couvering wrote:

>>The quote "communication is done through mailing lists" -- I think the
>>intent is more about the spirit of communication through Internet
>>mechanisms than a strict rule about a particular Internet tool, IMHO.  I
>>don't know if it's right to be exclusive when other and perhaps better
>>communication Internet communication mechanisms can be used to improve
>>the quality of communication.  I thought the main point was that
>>communications are recorded and public, vs. private and not recorded.
>>If we have a voting page, the policy is stored on the Wiki, pointing a
>>page with a specific version number, and the vote discussion happens on
>>email, what is missing?
>

> I think the intent is mailing-lists, and there is some project that
> explicitly states this (can't find it though), and states it in an
> apache-wide way, not specific to that project.

Just to follow up, I found the source for e-mail being the official
medium, from the Apache James project.

http://james.apache.org/mail.html

<quote>

The Apache Software Foundation has well established reasons for using
email and not other types of forum.
We are not interested in hearing proposals to use NNTP (news groups) or
web forums or any other medium.
You may use a mail-news gateway, gmail or anything else you like but
email will remain the official medium.

</quote>

Dan.