db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject potential release candidate
Date Sun, 23 Oct 2005 13:41:56 GMT
I posted a  potential release candidate at:
http://people.apache.org/~kmarsden/derby10.1.2rc/.  I'd appreciate
feedback from anyone interested if this all looks good, since this is my
first time putting together a release candidate.  derbyall ran cleanly
on Sun jdk 1.4.2.  I  checked that the javadoc was there and checked
that the doc directory and some contents were  there.  The doc did not
have a top level index, just the directories for the individual
manuals.  Is that correct?

 Andrew, please check it out and give it your official release manager
thumbs up or thumbs down to proceed with testing.

Two  things to note:
1)   I signed the release manually, see below for details, so please
double check that  it is  signed properly.
2)  I did not build the derby-ui-plugin.   If someone with an interest
in the ui plugin  builds it and posts it, I wiill sign and add it for
the release.
     It should be built at revision  327593 on the 10.1 branch.

Below are my notes on the instructions.

Thanks

Kathey

Step 7)
        - The formatting of the commands is a little confusing.  Maybe
separate commands with blank space.
        - The class name for maintversion2props is wrong.  It  should be
org.pache.derbyBuild.maintversion2props.
        -  It might be good to add to finalize the CHANGES file in this
step so it gets checked in with the version update.

Step 8)
         - I could not modify the packaging.properties as instructed,
because  it would cause a svn modified svn number in the release.  I
had to put docs in  /derby-docs-10.1/out   on the same drive as my
client, to avoid  editting the file.

Step 9)
      - It might be good to add  a note  to check your classpath for
osgi.jar for OSGI support and make sure jsr169compile.classpath is set
for J2ME support.

      - ant -Dsane=false snapshot  builds sane jars if I have sane set
in my ant.properties.  Removing the property solved the problem..
      - For the md5 phase of ant release on Windows,  I needed to create
a batch file to change the mdsum output  format.    md5 does not seem to
be generally available on Windows. It would be good to switch the build
scripts to use md5sum or give a sample batch file for md5sum conversion
to md5 -q output.
    - For the sign phase of ant release, gpg commands hung and did  not
prompt for input. I attempted to run -verbose and enter my passphrase,
but it did not advance to the next step and was presumably waiting for
some other input.  Ultimately I gave up on the sign phase of the release
target, aborted and  signed the release manually.
    -   Is there anything else  that happens after the md5 target
besides signing the release?  Since I aborted the release target I want
to make sure I didn't miss anything.
    - Under creating checksums for the core plugin.  The md5 files are
mistyped I think.  They should be derby_ui_plugin_[version].zip.md5  and
derby_core_plugin_[version].zip.md5.  (If not I messed up on the release
#:0).

Step 11)
   Seems to be a repeat of  step 6.

Step 12)
 I think the last digit should be bumped after the distribution is
posted based our discussion earlier that the last digit should be bumped
after any snapshot or release candidate is made.