db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Voting and comments
Date Sat, 22 Oct 2005 00:12:11 GMT
David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> I do want to express one frustration with the voting process.  It
> seems that although I get some feedback, I can't seem to get all the
> comments I need on a proposal until *after* I call for a vote.  I had
> this proposal online for over two weeks, and it wasn't until after I
> called for a vote that I started getting some meaty comments from
> everyone.

As for documentation of user impact I did ask for that quite a while ago
and was waiting #:)  I am still troubled by some of the wording as I
stated this morning.

> So that means I have to adjust the proposal and the vote basically has
> to be rejected.    I really dislike this, I don't like having to have
> vote after vote as I try to refine the proposal.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas how a vote submitter can get the feedback
> they need *prior* to calling for a vote?  I really would prefer a vote
> to be a "stamp of approval" on a discussion that has already been
> worked through.

I was curious your input on  my suggestion to have a more generalized
and clear summary, so that the user impact  is clear, more people can be
involved and .the implementation details can evolve.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200510.mbox/browser

Because your document has a lot of implementation details I am guessing
it will have to continue to change a lot over time. For instance  if I
wanted to  add a  parameter to a message I don't know how that would
work, I guess I would have to version the messages somehow, but I bet
there are a lot of bridges like that we will have to cross when we come
to them and I wouldn't want to have to revote on the document if the
basic guidelines were still met.

Kathey