db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From David Van Couvering <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: VOTE: Shared Components Guidelines, Version 27 of the page
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:24:56 GMT
Hm, I was assuming the Wiki would be around and data isn't lost; any
revision is available through the Info link on a page, and I think even
deleted pages remain in the system.  How is the Wiki less "durable" than
an email archive?  Is it not being backed up?  I would actually think
it's a better repository because you can actually find stuff much easier
than having to trawl through email lists, and it can be formatted so
that it's easier to read and follow.  Also, other Apache sites have
policies on their web pages, which I'm sure were voted on (see for
example the link I have to the Jakarta Commons versioning policy).  Do
our policies have to be in email form only?

I'd like to challenge that the Wiki site can not be part of the official
repository for an Apache project.  We have email archives, we have SVN,
 we have our web site, those are all official.  What is it about the
Wiki that makes it different?   I agree with you that pointing to a
mutable page for a vote doesn't work, but if I can point to a specific
version, I'm not sure what is missing.

The quote "communication is done through mailing lists" -- I think the
intent is more about the spirit of communication through Internet
mechanisms than a strict rule about a particular Internet tool, IMHO.  I
don't know if it's right to be exclusive when other and perhaps better
communication Internet communication mechanisms can be used to improve
the quality of communication.  I thought the main point was that
communications are recorded and public, vs. private and not recorded.
If we have a voting page, the policy is stored on the Wiki, pointing a
page with a specific version number, and the vote discussion happens on
email, what is missing?

All that said, if this isn't working, I'm happy to adjust -- I'm not
willing to lie down on the tracks for this one.  If the Wiki site just
isn't working, I'll put the policy in an email.

David