db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From David Van Couvering <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: VOTE: Shared Components Guidelines
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:59:26 GMT

Kathey Marsden wrote On 10/20/05 14:26,:
> David Van Couvering wrote:
>

>>This sounds appealing, but I was told that in an Apache open source
>>proejct like this we can't really have checkin policies, only guidelines?
>>

> Well we can reject any submission if it causes a regression and  what I
> am  suggesting  is that any incompatiblity of jars within the same major
> version or unreasonable jar file growth be considered a regression.
> Can we make that part of the vote?

Yes, I would agree to that.  Note that compatibility tests are not
expected to be run as part of a gate to checkin, but would be run at a
minimum as a release test, and perhaps as part of a nightly or weekly
test run.

I will add something to this effect to the guidelines page and make it
part of the vote.

>>I do think having compatibility tests will help ensure that these
>>guidelines are met, however.  I didn't think about a regression test to
>>catch massive jar file growth, that seems easy enough to add...
>>

> Tests are  always good.     I have to confess my first month with
> Cloudscape,  I made the mistake of pulling a server class into the tools
> jar because it looked like something I could use.    It came in  later
> as a high priority customer bug  labeled  "ij needs a DIET!".  Your test
> would have sure helped me out.

OK.  I can add a JIRA item to test for a regression test that can be
used to monitor JAR file growth.

David