db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: VOTE: Shared Components Guidelines
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:26:07 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:

>This sounds appealing, but I was told that in an Apache open source
>proejct like this we can't really have checkin policies, only guidelines?

Well we can reject any submission if it causes a regression and  what I
am  suggesting  is that any incompatiblity of jars within the same major
version or unreasonable jar file growth be considered a regression.
Can we make that part of the vote?

>I do think having compatibility tests will help ensure that these
>guidelines are met, however.  I didn't think about a regression test to
>catch massive jar file growth, that seems easy enough to add...

Tests are  always good.     I have to confess my first month with
Cloudscape,  I made the mistake of pulling a server class into the tools
jar because it looked like something I could use.    It came in  later
as a high priority customer bug  labeled  "ij needs a DIET!".  Your test
would have sure helped me out.

Kathey