db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: VOTE: Shared Components Guidelines
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2005 23:50:18 GMT
I can add this, but to answer real quickly, at this point there are no
restrictions and no visible user impact.  If at some point we make a
change that is not forward-compatible (which by the proposed guidelines
would only be allowed across major versions like from 10 to 11), then
the user should place the jar files from the latest revisions first in
the classpath.

Your question has also reminded me to put in a note about testing
impact: we will want to add compatibility tests to ensure that
incompatible changes have not been added between releases.  Note that
these tests do not need to exist until the first release *after* 10.2
(assuming the first release with common code is in 10.2).

I'll add both of these items to the policy.

David