db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Proposal about creating shared component (Re: Questions about what is module to be shared (Re: Discussions on Wik ... ))
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2005 17:08:57 GMT
David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> Hi, Kathey.  I have seen in the code and from various emails the
> concern of "client bloat."  I don't have the background so I'm sure
> I'm missing something.
>
> I can understand wanting to keep the code base small for J2ME, but my
> understanding is that doesn't involve client/server.  What's the need
> to keep the client small since it won't be found in J2ME environments?

Hopefully it will be found in J2ME environments someday,  as soon as
someone does the work to make it so.  I think it especially important
for client. Wouldn't it make sense to have a lot of clients on small
devices?  Small footprint is also part of our charter
http://db.apache.org/derby/#Derby+Project+Charter  so is important.  On
this whole topic my three concerns are as they have been from the start.

- We need to allow mixing of client and server versions, both on a
protocol level and in the same classpath.
- We should keep jar file growth commensurate with functionality
improvement.
- We should try to avoid asking every user in the world to change their
classpath.

Kathey