db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Proposal about creating shared component (Re: Questions about what is module to be shared (Re: Discussions on Wik ... ))
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:09:48 GMT
TomohitoNakayama wrote:

> Then, I propose next :
>    It is subject of voting to create new shared component .  New
> shared component require passing the vote .

+1

I too am concerned with the impact of creating shared components
especially with regard to potential client bloat  and backward
compatibility risks. I think the code submission for any new shared
component should require a vote.  I also think that it would be good to
componentize things in place in client or server before making them a
shared component.  For example, for DRDA there is a fair amount of work
to do to extract the sharable parts of DRDA processing from either
server or client.  First the code work for  untangling the component
could be done in place  for either server or client and then once
complete,  moved  to shared component status.

Kathey