db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: in-memory
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 22:26:34 GMT
David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> I have to agree, we need a more useful "memory-based" solution that
> guarantees consistency if not durability.

So just to repeat myself, the current relaxed durability matches a
memory based solution in terms of consistency, ie. no problems.

Durability is similar for both though with the current disk-based scheme
and relaxed durability there are cases where the database will exist
after a re-boot, where with the in-memory solution the data will be gone.

Not saying an in-memory solution might not be useful, but the relaxed
durability will give similar performance benefits since the data will be
cached in memory, either within Derby or within the OS filesystem.

Dan.