db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Some idea about checkpoint issue, welcome to give your idea
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:57:08 GMT
Are there any opinions out there on how to determine if
Derby "is busy"?  Is there something better than just having
a low priority thread  and maybe some query of cpu vs. elapsed
time?

The first problem is that I don't think there are great tools
for this in java.  The second problem is that often Derby is
meant to be embedded as part of another application, so we have
to be careful not to implement a standard server based approach
where it is appropriate for the "server" to use up all resources
available (ie. idle time may not really be best used by derby
admin processes).

I have not come up with a good answer to this problem, there are
a number of things derby could do if it knew it had idle time
available for it's use.  Best I have come up with is some mode
in the system that needs to be set by the application which
starts up Derby - either derby try's to limit it's use of idle
cycles or it enabled to try and schedule work during idle time.