db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: How to run the Apache DB Torque tutorial with Derby]
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:56:09 GMT
Francois Orsini wrote:
> I agree with Sateesh that the Embedded driver should return TRUE if the
> current statement has no FOR UPDATE in it - This is how I would see it
> and the ODBC description confirms it (as we know many of these semantics
> are coming from ODBC - as Lance pointed out).

One side effect, however, will be that Derby won't work where others do.
This from
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-torque-dev/200510.mbox/%3cOFBD6806DB.C10D10BC-ONC1257096.005840D3-C1257096.0059161D@seitenbau.net%3e

:

> All I can say to this discussion is that from my experience with Torque,
> the other database drivers I have worked with (Mysq, Postgresql, Oracle,
> Firebird, HSQLDB) return that the column is _NOT_ readonly if it is an
> ordinary table, so if the Network driver behaviour would be retained, derby
> would be the only database with that behaviour.

So if we fix the embedded jdbc driver we just need to be prepared for
breakage and a difference in behavior from the other drivers.

Torque is calling a village module that has this problem. I'll try to
find time to dig into village and see exactly what it's doing.

  -jean