db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Question about error messages (Re: Discussions on Wiki ...)
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:52:47 GMT
If I understand you correctly, you are asking how the user

(a) can tell if they're using the network driver or embedded driver and

The DatabaseMetadata of a connection gives you the driver name, product
name, version, etc.  Would this give the information you're looking for?

(b) can tell if the exception came from the client or the server

I don't think it's reasonable to want the SQLState to be different; I
think that many users very much want them to be the *same* across the
drivers, for the same error.  Kathey and Dan have made it pretty clear
they should be the same.

And we have also agreed that using the error code or the implementing
class of SQLException is not valid because neither of these are public
(and therefore stable) interfaces.

In the network client, when you construct a SQLException, the full
diagnostics of the exception are written to the configured log:

           if (logWriter != null) {
             logWriter.traceDiagnosable(this);

if the exception is from the server, then the trace diagnostics contain
information that makes it clear the exception is from the server:

if ( sqlca != null )
             printWriter.println(header + " DERBY SQLCA from server");
             printWriter.println(header + " SqlCode        = " +
sqlca.getSqlCode());
             printWriter.println(header + " SqlErrd        = " +
Utils.getStringFromInts(sqlca.getSqlErrd()));
             printWriter.println(header + " SqlErrmc       = " +
sqlca.getSqlErrmc());
             printWriter.println(header + " SqlErrmcTokens = " +
Utils.getStringFromStrings(sqlca.getSqlErrmcTokens()));
             printWriter.println(header + " SqlErrp        = " +
sqlca.getSqlErrp());
             printWriter.println(header + " SqlState       = " +
sqlca.getSqlState());
             printWriter.println(header + " SqlWarn        = " + new
String(sqlca.getSqlWarn()));

It seems to me this should give the user the information they need, right?

Thanks,

David