db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: in-memory
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 16:26:10 GMT
Norbert Toth-Gati wrote:
> Hello Kristian,
>
> On 10/11/05, Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waagan@sun.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello Norbert,
>>
>>Norbert Toth-Gati wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Stephen,
>>>
>>>I would also be interested more exactly when will this functionality
>>>be released?
>>>And is this going to support most of the existing functionalities? I
>>>would be particularly interested in the support for 'select for
>>>update'.
>>
>>With background in some other work I have been doing, I know there are
>>different semantics for SELECT FOR UPDATE in different database systems.
>>
>>What semantics are you expecting?
>>Have you tried your application with Derby, or have you written it based
>>on another database system and want to "port" it to Derby?
>

> Well, till now I have been using HSQLDB, but unfortunately this does
> not support SELECT FOR UPDATE. I would only expect the SELECT FOR
> UPDATE to lock the selected row/rows.

This wasn't enough information to draw a conclusion, but instead of
getting into the details of locking, resultsets, isolation levels and
other stuff, I would advise you to try out your application code
involving SELECT FOR UPDATE to confirm that it does what you want.

If you run into problems or have questions, don't hesitate to post your
questions to the list!

> Well, I am looking for an in-memory DB which supports the above
> specified functionality. And Derby may be good, I heard Stephen Fitch
> is working on it.
>
> Do you have any other suggestions, perhaps?

No, sorry, I don't.
But if Stephen is soon ready to contribute his work, I would advice you
to wait and try out Derby :)

Regards,
--
Kristian