db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Some idea about checkpoint issue, welcome to give your idea
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 03:37:44 GMT
Raymond Raymond wrote:

> I have been thinking of the automatic checkpointing issue
> recently.I also find someone added another issue about "Use
> of idle time for background checkpoint" into the to-do list.
> I think we can consider these two issue together. I have
> some idea about it.
>
> Instead of doing checkpoint periodically and trying to tune the
> checkpoint interval to achieve best performance, is it possible to
> keep the background checkpoint process running to do checkpoint,
> and the DBMS can tune the rate of checkpoint depending on the
> current system situation,e.g. if the system is busy, derby will
> slow down the checkpoint rate and if the system is not busy(idle),
> derby will speed up the checkpoint rate.We will update the control
> file periodically to let the DBMS know up to where we did checkpoint.
> Maybe we can call it 'increamental checkpointing'. In my opinion,
> this approach can use the disk IO resources with reason if we can
> decide the checkpoint rate reasonablly.
>
> I would like to discuss this issue with everyone. I am not
> sure if this approach is doable or not. If it is doable, I will
> have some further questions about how to decide the appropriate
> checkpoint rate.

Sounds like an interesting project, and I think it's doable, it's just a
matter of coding! :-)

One thing I think you want to consider up front is what problem are you
trying to solve, or what are you trying to improve or simply why is this
a good idea. Having a clear goal can make implementation decisions clearer.

Dan.