db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: Beginner question about building Derby myself
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 22:50:53 GMT
 > For the  2904165 build - did you compile the classes with both
 > debug=false, and sane=false in your  ant.properties ?
 > I suspect the 2904165 size is probably because the classes were built with debug=true
 >
 > Sunitha.

Yes, you are exactly right. Re-building with debug=false in
my ant.properties causes me to get jar files that are basically
identical in size to the ones from the binary distribution.

May I suggest that a paragraph about "debug=true/false" be added
to section 3.2 of
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/code/trunk/BUILDING.txt,
as I completely was unaware that I could set a debug property in
my ant.properties file.

Something like:

   - debug

     This variable defines whether the java compiler should be run
     in debug mode or not. In debug mode, extra information about
     line numbers and local variables is emitted into the class files,
     allowing for source level debugging and for stack traces with
     line numbers. Setting the 'debug' variable will cause your JAR
     files to be much larger, however. The default value for this
     variable is 'true'.

        debug=false

thanks,

bryan