db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Beginner question about building Derby myself
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 20:21:52 GMT
Hi, I'm trying to learn how to build Derby myself, as a
precursor to being able to work on bugs that concern me.

As a first step, I downloaded db-derby-10.1.1.0-bin.zip
and db-derby-10.1.1.0.src.zip from the Derby download site,
and then I opened up the source distribution on my Red Hat
Linux system and followed the BUILDING.txt instructions.

I skipped the OSGi, Jikes, and J2ME steps, as they were
labelled as optional.

The build appeared to go well; I got no errors, and I am
able to run the resulting jar files.

However, the *size* of the jar files seems wildly wrong.

For example, the derby.jar that came in the binary distribution
is 2143211 bytes in size, but the derby.jar that I built using
the source distribution ends up being 2904165 bytes. And the
'sane=true' version of derby.jar ends up being 3097091 bytes.

This makes me worried. Am I doing something wrong? Should
I be able to unzip the source distribution, build it, and end
up with identical jar files to the corresponding files from
the binary distribution?

thanks,

bryan