db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: conflict between Derby API and JDBC 4.0
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 18:32:21 GMT
Hi, Rick.  You had my vote, item 3 (although I don't understand how it
would change our public API, I didn't know EmbeddedDataSource was a
public (e.g. for-customer-use) API).

I would suggest proposing what you think is the best solution and I
suspect you'll get some feedback.  If you don't, you can assume lazy
consensus and do what you think is best (although I suspect you *will*
get some feedback :) ).

Rick Hillegas wrote:
> I would like advice on how to handle the conflict between the public
> Derby API and JDBC 4.0. This issue was raised by Dan in his comments on
> bug 587.
> A) Does this issue block the submission of the 587 fix?
> B) How do we want to handle this conflict in 10.2?
> The problem is that some javax.sql interfaces are incompatible between
> jdk1.4 and jdk1.6. A class implementing one of these interfaces can't
> run on both the 1.4 and 1.6 vms. This is a showstopper for Derby because
> i) our public API contains classes which implement these incompatible
> interfaces and ii) we ship a single jar which we expect will run on all
> supported vms. The comments on bug 587 suggest some solutions:
> 1) Some, as yet not understood, classloader trick.
> 2) Abandon requirement (ii) and release separate Derby deployments for
> 1.4 and 1.6.
> 3) Change our public API.
> I would appreciate some discussion of this serious problem.
> Thanks,
> -Rick

View raw message